Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Durham Regional Hospital

Over the past 10 years, my life has taken some twists and turns I never anticipated.  One of those major twists and turns has been choosing a career in which I would use to support myself.  I am immensely grateful for the education I have received up to this point in my life but I still feel like I have not quite yet found a fit for my personality and desires when it comes to a career choice.  Since I am no longer helping my brother-in-law take care of my nieces and nephew, I have had the opportunity to investigate a possible new career for myself.  With this opportunity has come, some frustrations and questions but I am glad to take the time now to see if a new career path is right for me.  As an undergraduate, I always considered pursing nursing but was intimidated by the science classes needed to go in that direction and never really gave the option a lot of thought, but now I am taking the time to see if I might want to become a nurse.  As part of my investigation, I received my nursing assistant certificate and acquired a job at the Durham Regional Hospital as a nursing assistant in the Emergency Department and have really enjoyed my time so far and have learned a ton!  Along with working in the hospital, I am taking the two classes I lack in order to apply for nursing school if that is the direction I decide to go! It is all rather exciting and at the same time a little nerve racking. I always had the mind set that I would work if I needed to in order to sustain my family needs but my mind set has changed as I continue to mature and realize that I need a career that I enjoy and would be able to support myself for the rest of my life if need be!  Everything is always an adventure in my neck of the woods!!

2 comments:

  1. Wow, that sounds like an adventure, Caroline! I'm glad you're able to take the time to make sure you're in a career that will be fulfilling for you. In some ways I think it's a lot easier to know at this age which careers are a good fit than it was when we started college and had to start choosing. Good luck with all of the decisions!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey good for you!! That has actually been something I've wanted to do, too! I think you'd make a fantastic nurse. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete